Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

   This game, this terrible terrible game, came up in a conversation between Cable (From Temporal Flux) and myself. I'd like to take a moment to explain why this is to this day the one Final Fantasy game I will not acknowledge as even existing, despite the what the wikipedia page.
American Box Art
   Originally released in the USA as a "Entry-Level Role Playing Adventure" in 1992. It abandoned series staples such as random battles, manual equipment, party system, save points, and kept the game in a over-linear. While it did let you use weapons outside of battle, they where mostly used to change something in the over-world such as using a grappling hook to get across gaps. Here is the worst review I've ever done. Know that this review reflects my feelings on the game.
... Japanese Box. Seriously cute, right? I think he stole Bartz's hair from the original FFV cover.

The Story: Something about a guy named Benjamin has to stop a Dark King or something. Honestly, I've read better Sephiroth/Cloud dojins with a better story. Scary, right? -1/5

The Look: We're going to let a picture tell 1000 words. -2/5
Mystic Quest
FFIV, the first FF game on the SNES.


The Sound: I just played the game again on an emulator and I still can't remember the music. -1/5

The Feel: Like crap. It's like holding a handful of rusty needles. 0/5
The Filling: W... what? 0/5.
Overview: I'm not going to bother. This game gives me less pleasure then watching my dog Chopper hunt mice. Seriously, did this game foreshadow the fall of RPGs in Japan? This game was made for America, by Japan. Years later, Japan tried to get more people into JRPGS and failed. Failed to titles like Mass Effect and WoW. There are people out there that believe that FFXI or FFXIII killed the series. NO! It was and will always be Mystic Quest. This game was so terrible, when it was released in Japan, they added "USA" to the title to show that it was a gimped version of the beloved franchise. If someone was going to give me this game, the following would happen..

How about if someone asked me to try the game one more time? To give it another chance?


No comments:

Post a Comment