Saturday, August 4, 2012

Model Kit Review: Gundam 00 - Virtue

Gundam Virtue comes from the Gundam 00 series of model kits and is one of the original Gundams introduced in the first season of Gundam 00. It's also my 10th 00 related model kit. It is also actually my least favorite of the original 4 but I still built it with alot of passion and patience. Think this thigh-heavy Gundam is for you? Read on and find out!



Out of the Box:
Like most of the series before it, Virtue was a pretty easy build. The head and body was almost exactly like building Exia's. The arms were a little shorter and stubbier compared to the rest of the suits and the legs.. well, the legs were very large but simple pieces. These larger parts actually made it slightly easier then any Gundam 00 suit I've done previously. There were even a few jokes at Virtue's cost in my household as I asked my daughter "Does this Gundam make my thighs look big?" Her wide smile turned into a grin as she replied, "It's not the Gundam that makes your thighs look big." Weapons on other hand were a little more complicated then Exia's or 00. The over-shoulder cannons were simple enough, but the GN Cannon gave me a little grief as the yellow inside doesn't always move correctly.
4/5

Colouring & Detail:
Besides the the inner working of the side packs and a some line detailing needed around the larger areas of the kit, there was minimal to detail on this kit. The entire 00 series of 1/144s don't leave to much room for detail, unless you're a hard-core model kit builder who doesn't mind breaking down a kit and re:molding some joints. For a HG I wasn't expecting that much and I was delivered just that.
3/5

Stability & Movement:
Virtue can't move as well as the agile Exia but it sacrifices movement for a steady grounding. It's large legs help balance the kit into almost any position, but the limited movement doesn't give you a whole lot of choices for poses. The basic "Fire Cannon" pose works well for it but alas.. it will never be able to do a proper Fusion Dance.
3/5

Overall: Short and simple with nothing difficult. Virtue is a great hit for anyone moving up to HG from FG or something around that. I strongly advise it for either newbie builders or a really good pro who wants to make it look like a MG like some of you pros do. 3.3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment