Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Art and Definition of the Free-lot.

By Definition.. well, there is no real definition. So, let's break the word down.

Free:
 complimentary: costing nothing; "complimentary tickets"; "free admission"
Lot:
draw: anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random; "the luck of the draw"; "they drew lots for it"

So, by broken down definition would be a complimentary luck of the draw. So, in any situation, freelot seems pretty black and white.

 Now, onto my post;
Free-lot is used in FFXI and other MMO games as a way to say "This item is up for grabs, to anyone who desires it." Thus, if an item is called out as free-lot anyone should be able to lot, or draw straws, for it. The problem is the gray area. The gray area is where the people who "really want" the item loose it to someone who either in their eyes don't deserve it or that they don't want it "as bad."
I'm the type of person who, even though it may sometime work against me, the black and white method. If I get out-lotted by someone who did not even need the item, then maybe I should of made my own pt and set my own rules.
The point of this rant: You should stick to your rules. Choose a decision, and stick with it.
As this was a 2:01am post, I don't expect it to make sense in the morning~

No comments:

Post a Comment