Friday, January 28, 2011

Kajimaru Vi Britannia in "Search for a New Sega Saturn!"

   It was a few years ago, I had a friend over and she was playing my Sega Saturn. I had this system and used it for long periods of time during 1996-2006 a.d. As we played a lot of import games, we often used the 4meg memory pack & The action replay converter. The converter I had didn't have the 4meg memory in it that games such as Dungeons and Dragons Arcade Collection & the Marvel Super Heroes/X-men VS Street Fighter needed to be played. So, there was a... technique we had to use to make it work;

Here it is; Came included with X-Men VS Street Fighter. Japan only.
   You placed the Action Replay in the expansion port of the Sega Saturn, put the game in the disk tray, and loaded the system. Once you pass the "Action Replay Cheat Selection" screen, the game began to load.
Then there was a moment, and split second, that the screen flashed white. During that time, you needed to hastily swap the Action Replay with the 4meg Memory Expansion. If you succeeded, you where presented with the only console arcade perfect versions of these games. Most of the time, your Sega Saturn would prop up an error screen asking to place the 4meg card in. (I'm sure by now you're thinking that 4megs shouldn't be a lot to change how the game plays, but dammit it matters!)
    After 10+ years of swapping this and the Action Replay, well... like I started with... I had a friend of mine over. Her and I where taking turns when suddenly; SPARK! My back port hasn't worked in years.
    Well, it's time to retire my Saturn and look for another. Will I give my old Saturn a proper send off once I have another working on? Hell no; I'm to much of a packrat. Thing still plays normal games no problem. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment