Monday, April 4, 2011

Nintendo 3DS: Unboxing & First Night of Game Play

   
  
    It didn't take long after I got word that my 3DS was delivered at my house for me to hurry over to pick it up before heading to my other half's home. Once settled in, I decided not the act like it was Christmas Morning & tear the package open. I slowly opened it while enjoying some of my home-made pork & beans while watching new episodes of Destination Truth. Then, the time came. I would not wait any longer.

Doc Brown didn't know how right he was when he said "You're gonna see some serious shit."
\
   After unboxing the original package from the crafty Amazon packaging, I slowly peeled away the round stickers that held the 3DS box closed. First thing to appear was a bag containing the instructions, quick start guide, Mii Plaza guide, and AR Cards. Going right for the goal, I put them aside and pulled the little cardboard separator to unveil the 3DS, neatly wrapped in foam paper. Slowly pulling the paper away, revealing what has to now be the sexiest portable I own. Sleek, Sexy, and well built; the 3DS is great to look at.
    Then.. the time came to push the power button.
          .....
             .....
                Damn, I need to fully charge this thing before I can play it. I don't want to ruin the batteries. >.<

~SEVERAL HOURS LATER~

   Time to turn this thing on! The screen opens with the usual set-up date, name, region, etc. My first thoughts are that the 3D wasn't that amazing. Then, the system noted that it was about to activate the 3D. (Facepalm)

"Sit your 3DS on my lap, I'll charge it for you."

OH SHIT MOMENT #1: I CAN SEE BEYOND TIME NOW~
   The 3D is absolutely amazing. Once I got passed the "Woh" factor of the system, I decided to play around with some of the camera functions. The camera is about the same quality as the DSi, but the outer side of the 3DS has two cameras, positioned to take 3D pictures. So, I took a few photos of my family, including my sleeping daughter. (Creepy value!) The picture quality isn't any better then most phones, but the 3d aspect makes them really look great. I then followed up with with the Mii creator: recreating myself, some close family members, and Finn & the Vampire Princess from Adventure Time. I then moved on to activating the Street Pass function, even though I haven't gotten a single hit yet. That could be due to the fact that I live in a small town as well.  Tried the Face Raiders mini game where it takes pictures of yourself or a friend/random stranger to battle staged in the room you happen to be in. I had tons of fun blasting yellow balls at my family's face while walking down the hallway. Next up was the AR Cards.

Your move, your move, YOUR MOVE.
 
 OH SHIT MOMENT #2: HONEY, I AM FISHING IN OUR TV TRAYS.
   Each 3DS comes with 6 AR, or Augmented Reality Cards. They are very simple looking cards that are used to play some of the AR Mini-games. The first AR Game starts out with the "?" card. Place the card on a flat surface and hold the 3DS about 14" away from it, and suddenly a small box pops out of the card. Seeing the box threw the 3DS makes it seem likes it's really sitting across from you. A simple shoot the target game pops out, where you move your 3DS around to shoot the targets. A simple fun game, until a Dragon pops out and tries to turn you into toasted gamer. As you play you unlock more games, including a fishing game I can't seem to put down where the Dragon's retarded brother decides to get revenge and you have to drop bombs on it's head to kill it.
  I did pop in Samurai Warriors before I went to bed, and my first impressions where good. The 3DS looks like it will be able to handle Ps2 level games easily. I'll be giving a review of the game at a later time once I've gotten some better game-time with it.

12' AR Card not included with the 3DS.
   The only issues I seem to be having with the 3DS is the battery life is kind of low, and I seem to have issues pressing the start button correctly the first time few times. I also have an issue with where the stylus is kept now, as I have been used to where the DSi stylus is kept for the last few years.

As Always, Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment