Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: Tron Legacy

<3
      "The son of a virtual world designer goes looking for his father and ends up inside the digital world that his father designed. He meets his father's creation turned bad and a unique ally who was born inside the digital domain of The Grid." ~IMDB Summery~

Review:
   A note real quickly: I was never a huge fan of the original Tron. It was a fun movie, but it wasn't very provoking. I may catch some fanboy heat for this, but I want to be honest about this. Again, it was a fun movie. Legacy, on other hand, blew the original out of the water for me.

   The storyline was probably the weakest point of the movie, and that's not a terrible thing. A simple story with a couple (predictable at moments) twists and some great nostalgia factor. The good thing is that Legacy doesn't fully depend on the original movie for a storyline. Most things are explained pretty well, with the exception of Dillinger Jr's bit part (son of the antagonist from the first movie), and who Tron is. Olivia Wilde's character Quorra was a good change from female leads. The attraction from her character and Sam was well written, pulling away from the "The main girl and the main guy gotta kiss" stereotype. I appreciated the little bit of sexual frustration that was never played upon. Almost everything the character say and do is golden. I will be quoting this movie for along time. Story is definitely a 4/5. I can't say there is anything I could add or take away from the storyline, it just felt a little lacking. Perhaps other points of the movie over-shadowed the story, and that's why I feel the way I do about it.

   Special effects where insane. It made me want to put long LED lights throughout my clothing. The de-aging of Jeff Bridges was interesting, but at a few moments didn't seem as real as I'd of hoped Disney could do.
All battle scenes, light-cycle battles, and even the programs falling into broken pieces after being "deleted" was done really well. The effects sometimes had a "Dark Knight" feel to them, and that definitely not a bad thing. 4.5/5

   Music made the movie. Daft Punk's score for the movie definitely made it for me. Anytime I can listen to a soundtrack that makes me relive scenes from the movie, I fall completely in love with it. I've already driven home from work listening to "Flynn Lives" with quite possibly the nerdiest look on my face. Often, the music almost feels like the actors are moving and talking with the music playing in their heads. The way the music flows with each character makes you think they had the music playing for the actors in each scene. 6/5 (Yes, I went over the limit. You got a problem with that? You wanna fight about it?)

Yeah.. I like Oliva Wilde. Can't you tell?
   Casting was well done, including one of my favorite former T.V. doctors. Oliva Wilde's character was both fun, had a slight-sexiness, and cute, with a another slight bit of goofiness. Something we haven't seen in a female lead in along time in my opinion. Garret Hedlund pulled off his role flawlessly, and of course Jeff Bridges return to the role of Kevin Flynn was something that had to be done. Michael Sheen's little Ziggy Stardust impression was spot on for the role of Castor. For some reason though, every time I hear David Warner's voice (OHFUCKTHISMAYBEASPOILER) I think of Ra's Al Ghul from Batman: The Animated Series. Seeing Cillian Murphy in such a small part was disappointing, but I don't think this is the last we'll see of him. Everyone else was spot on. 5/5

Wrap Up:

   The original Tron wasn't for everyone. Legacy feels like like you can sit almost anyone in front of it and they'll enjoy it. I plan on purchasing the Bluray+DVD version for myself in the near future. Your family and friends will enjoy this movie, as long as they can comprehend the idea of a digital world.

You're just lucky I didn't spam a bunch of images of her and some drool as a review.



No comments:

Post a Comment