Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cleaning out my Closet. Literally.

   One of my primary goals over my week away from work was to clean my room. I decided, sense I really had a few days with nothing to do, that I need to deep clean my room. Started by pulling everything out of my closest; Including old games, about 4 Sega Genesis (or would it be 4 Sega Genesi? English is tough some days.), the Japanese Evangelion Manga 1-6, and clothing I'd never wear again. After about 1 & 1/2 ful 30 gal trash bags later, I had it all cleaned out.
   Packed up 2.5 years worth of Shonen Jump & placed them in my closet & took all of my electronics out of my dresser and filled it with clothing that was previously in a basket near my bed. That's right, the dresser is now full of clothing. Took down everything off my walls, and wiped the dust off my wall scrolls & figure collections I have on the walls. Scrubbed the walls, the baseboards, vacuumed 3 times. Despite the fact I was getting tired, I kept energetic with the soundtracks of Labyrinth, Little Shop of Horrors, & Tron Legacy.
   Finally, I did something I never thought I'd do.. I packed away 80% of my video game collection. Before that, I took some pictures of the most horrifying disappointment in my entire collection. The one thing, that to this day, I weep whenever I think about it.
  
There are no games here, only Zool.
   Really? Did Atari need to release this birth defect of a gaming system onto the masses? Why do the cartridges look like a copy of Sonic & Knuckles that melted in the sun? Why does the controller look like a rejected cell phone from AT&T? Then there is Zool, the sole game in my Atari Jaguar collection.
"Let's be different" they said.
   Zool was a decent platformer game from the SNES-platformaga Era in video games, and was originally created for the Amiga in 1992 to be a rival for Sonic the Hedgehog. Zool almost beat Sonic 2 in sales, making it the best selling game in 1993 for the Amiga. The game then was ported to all current generation systems at the time, despite the fact that Zool's Wikipedia page doesn't mention that it came out for the Jaguar. The Jaguar port itself was a decent port of the game, but that big bitch issue goes back to the controller.

Same basic shape as a Dreamcast controller;
   This thing makes the first Xbox controller comfortable. The A,B, & C buttons are reversed from what we're used to, possibly confusing a lot of gamers.  I'm not sure if they were planning on using the phone-like keys for something decent, but this controller is probably the ugliest thing I have in my gaming collection. I even own Shaq Fu for the Genesis, and I find it less revolting then the controller for the Jaguar. I'll give it a little credit in one area: It doesn't look as bad as Vegeta's moustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment