Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: Nintendo 3DS Online eStore w/ Downloaded Games

   During E3 Nintendo finally opened up the Nintendo 3DS online store, the 3DS E-Store. Not reading to much into the original announcement, after the DSi store gave me a little disappointment, I still wanted to check it out.

Donkey Kong is playing hide-n-seek, badly.
   After an update, the E-Store's icon appears on the 3DS selection menu, along with the web browser that I only tested for a moment before heading into the store. Once in the store, I was happily surprised to see not only the entire DSi shop menu available, but also a 3D exclusive shop that has downloadable Nintendo Gameboy games. Right away, I purchased $10 in Nintendo money & bought Mario Land and Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Both great games that I remember from by early years and also nicely priced at $2.99 & $5.99 respectively.
   An almost perfect port of each game, Nintendo also includes a "State Saver." Something that has been used in numerous emulation programs, a "State Saver" allows you to save the game at anytime in the game. This can be used to save where you are despite what you're doing, and move onto another game. You can also save a state before a boss battle or after a difficult level, allowing you to return even if you die. The system only allows you save one state at a time, but that's enough to help me though Mario Land after 10 years.

Mario Land is awesome until you realize how short it is.
  Another pleasant surprise was the 3DS game trailers, showing off all of the titles shown at E3. Watching some of them really got me excited to the coming 3DS line-up. Later on, they did upload a 3D trailers for the luke-warm Green Lantern movie to prove that they can do full 3D movies via Netflix at a late date. Nintendo even gave 3DS users a 3D version of the classic Excitebike free until July, as well as a 3D Pokedex covering the new Pokemon from the Black/White series. I do hope we'll be seeing more game & movie trailers soon. The only thing Nintendo needs to do now is to make demos available and they will rival the PSN with content that I care about.
   With updates coming weekly, there are high-hopes for the Estore. I see now that Donkey Kong (Gameboy) is available, so as soon as I can I'll be getting that as well! A lot of great classic games to look forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment