Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Tron Evolution for PS3

   While biding my time to receive InFamous 2 (Review pending), GameFly.com happily sent me another game to tide me over. Tron: Evolution is a game set before Tron: Legacy during the time when Kevin Flyyn discovered the ISOs that where introduced in Legacy. The game fills in a little more back story for the movie, explaining the **SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED EVOLUTION AHEAD** destruction of the ISOs, Cluu's betrayal, and the disappearance of Tron. **SPOILERS OVER**
I wish I could of been a female security program.
STORY:
   You start as a security program created by Kevin Flyyn to protect the in-game-in-computer world of the Grid. As you are the blue guy, the red guys are naturally your enemies. You'll also meet the yellow guys, who are a part of a computer virus known as Abraxas. Along the way you'll meet movie characters along the way, some voiced by the actors that are in the movie. It's a good note here to say that Kevin/Cluu's voice isn't done by Jeff Bridges, but it's a pretty damn good sound-alike. I'd get more into the story if it was worth really talking about. The story could of been easily for been accepted as an animated movie released before Legacy was out, Ala all these super hero movies being accompanied by an straight to dvd/bluray animated movie. 1/5

This is my "Hrm" face.
GRAPHICS:
   Slandered looks to the PS3. Nothing to amazing, but nothing to make fun of either. The constant black on blue gave me a bit of a dizzy spell. The characters facial reactions are pretty nice, with the acceptation of a few character's faces looking a bit off during cut scenes. PS3 version prompts you to play this game in 3D, but I lack the 3D TV for such a thing.  4/5

SOUND:
   Other then a few tracks from Legacy, the soundtrack was pretty non-existent. Maybe there was music other then in a few cutscenes and during the opening menu, but it must of been pretty dull compaired to the movie. I don't remember crap about it. 1/5

GAMEPLAY:
   The game is a basic jump, attack, and dodge game. The game play feels kind of like the newer Prince of Persia games, with alot of Tron elements. As predicted, you use your disc for everything. For the first few chapters, the gameplay is fun and addicting but grows stale by chapter 4. The fighting system is a little muddled, where you never know when you're going to eat disc to the face until it's to late. Having to constantly watch your energy meter can be a pain, but it also adds a challenge to the game. Of course the bike racing & tank driving levels are here. The bike levels tend to be trail & error, where you'll never know if you're going to suddenly ram yourself into a wall. The tank on other hand is like moving a giant target that can only shoot one powerful blast. If you can hide your tank from the enemy until you take their numbers down, you shouldn't have an issue. All three aspects of the game start out as fun, but grow tedious by mid-game prompting me to return it shortly after my 2nd fight with Abraxus. I never git a change to try multiplayer, due to my friends being more interested in Mario Sports Mix. 3/5.

"I AM THE YELLOW GUY, WELCOME TO DIE!"
END OF LINE:
   The biggest draw to this game is Legacy. If you've recently watched it, you'll love the game despite it's quirks. You'll love the fact the trophy/achievement system has names based on quotes from the movie, (I giggled at the "It's all in the wrists" trophy.) and the more detail into the story can be nice. I wish I could of spent a little more time with the game, but another game called me into it's arms. 2.25/5

Armpit attacks are the number 1 cause of motocycle accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment