Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dragon Ball GT: A Honest Review. Episode 1

DISCLAIMER: The following is an honest review of Dragon Ball GT. Before you say "Pfft, GT? I'd rather eat my own after-birth!" you should really take a moment to read what I have to say. To start, I was never a big GT fan due to the fact that it wasn't Toriya-made. This feeling I had was a childish-fanboy-bitch that, as a twenty-eight year old, I look back on and say "Wow, I was really immature to not even give this a chance." That is where these reviews come in. I want to give an honest opinion of GT, watching it from a new point of view. I will rate not only the story-line, but the character development and actions, music, animation, and overall presentation of the series.
   I started watching fan-subs of DBZ back in the mid-90s when the Buu Saga was new, so I was there in the AOL chat rooms, chatting it up with fellow fans about the end of the Buu Sags, and the forthcoming GT. Right away even before it premiered there was doubt and dismay. Listening to my online chat buddies, I mostly ignored GT when it premiered in early 1996. Only keeping tabs on what was happening threw rants and complaints, I was given a bad impression at first. After reading some episode reviews, I noticed they where going for the more light-hearted path such as the one found in Dragon Ball, and not the Balls-to-the-Wall Battle-For-The-Sake-Of-Everything. Then about half-way threw the series, around later 1996, when the series decided to turn back into what it was before. GT was having self-identification issues. It wasn't going to end well. Once the "Baby Saga" was over, they started really running on fumes it seemed. So, I gave up on it and started watching other anime. I now feel it's time to give GT a real chance.
   Now, this is where one of my friends would jump in and save me from the on-coming fanboy-raged-powered-Mega-Train that was headed my way. I'll be giving GT an honest review, as said before. Let's start this!

If mine had black-stars on them, I'd go to my doctor.
Episodes 1
"Nazo no Doragon Bōru Shutsugen!! Gokū ga Kodomo ni!?" or "A Devastating Wish"
As Goku and Uub are finishing up training, Emperor Pilaf returns once more to make a wish to become a King. Unfortunately, he accidentally wishes Goku to be a kid again! Once reunited with his family, (and devastated wife.) Goku learns from King Kai that the only way he can return to normal is to make another wish on the Black Star Dragon Balls. King Kai also points out that the Earth will explode if the Black Star Balls aren't returned to Earth in one year.

    This opens 10 years after DBZ ends, opening with Goku giving Uub his final test. This it a great way to return to where the series left off. The reactions of Mr. Popo & Dende/Kami are amusing as their home is slowly being destroyed by the Saiyan and the Reincarnated Buu. (It was the Evil Buu who destroyed the lookout in the previous series as well...>.>;) I really enjoyed the return of Pilaf and his henchmen, and knowing that they're still trying to take over the world after all these years dispute their failures in the past makes me not feel so bad about being at the same job for 6 years. XD
    Goku's reactions running into Pilaf, getting turned into a kid, and going out to eat a large meal definitely felt like the real Goku was there and ready. Pan, who is now around 15 (I think?) and on a date with a boy from school. (Is dating ok at 15?! I'm not sure, my daughter is only 10.. maybe I need parental advise from Gohan?) The family's reaction to Goku's child-like body is expected, but what's interesting is their daily life. Without Goku there or the Earth being under attack, the Son Family has become pretty docile. Gohan, now married to Videl and dressed for success, Goten, now a teen who is more interested in going out with girls. Chi Chi remains the same devoted mother, with help from Videl. Storyline and characters worked out real well in these episodes.
    The animation during the episode was pretty good, but still lacking in colors. Goku looks great, as do Pan and Uub. Gohan and the rest of the family is drawn much simpler, taking main characters from the previous series and making them powered-down background characters doesn't seem fair, but I see it as a needed adjustment.
   Music is done very well. Instrumental versions of the opening are welcome, as it remains one of my favorite songs. (I have the Field of View, Zard, and Shoko versions on my MP3 player)
   The Japanese cast does great (considering 3 of them are the same person..) in picking up where they left off, as does the American cast. The dub uses my favorite Kid Goku voice, so they get super-props on that. Unsure how the dub in the original release was, the Japanese music with the American dub from the remasters really sets the series in a good direction. Even the opening being dubbed, despite my feelings towards it being dubbed, was well translated.

I will be following up shortly with episode 2 review.

Sorry, wrong Black Star~


No comments:

Post a Comment